Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Loss of One's Mind

*Spoiler Alert: If you've never seen the show Chuck I am giving away the end of the series.*


Hello All,

Missed another day with the craziness that is life. Wanted to bring up the end of the TV series Chuck. My fiance and I just finished watching the last few episodes and it got me to thinking. What if like Sarah, my memories of the one I loved were pulled from me without warning. How then would I or she for that matter handle such a traumatic experience of taking the very one person who we are closest to in our lives?

There are many who have attempted to tackle this tough question and what it means to our human experience. One of the best quotes I have ever seen is below.

“Memory is all we are. Moments and feelings, captured in amber, strung on filaments of reason. Take a man’s memories and you take all of him. Chip away a memory at a time and you destroy him as surely as if you hammered nail after nail through his skull.”
Mark Lawrence, King of Thorns


  For those who believe this is a merely academic pursuit, click the link below to read a real life story of how someone else experienced this.

Joan and Scott Bozlan's Story

In the end, it was only a mixture of Chuck's devotion, their friend's efforts, and Sarah's own forethought to continue recording her own thoughts that led to her beginnings of recovery. My question to you is, what steps can you think of that we can do everyday not only to make the lives of our loved one's special, but to preserve happy memories in such a way that should misfortune befall us, that we can begin to rebuild?

I look forward to your suggestions and comments.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment